Our Story

Mission Statement

Laredo Federal Credit Union's mission is guided by moral and ethical principles of honesty and responsibility to provide its members efficient, courteous, caring and professional financial services.

Our History

On May 10, 1956, a group of teachers held a meeting to organize a federal credit union, Laredo Teachers Federal Credit Union. Membership was limited to employees of Laredo Independent School District, Webb County Schools, Laredo Junior College and the immediate family of those employees. By year-end, LTFCU had over 200 members.

The credit union became operating as a full-time facility in 1965. By April 1, 1979, the credit union purchased a building at 1119 Corpus Christi Street (Main Office). Membership had now grown to over 4,000.

In June of 1993, with membership growing over 8,000, LTFCU constructed and moved into its newly built  two-story building, located at 1119 Corpus Christi Street. In September 1993, with the guidance and support of the Board of Directors, LTFCU merged with Laredo Federal Employees Federal Credit Union and membership almost doubled to over 15,000.

In July 1997, with the City of Laredo growing at a fast pace and leeping up with the demand of membership, LTFCU opened  its office at 7114 McPherson Road with 7 drive-thru lanes and one ATM machine.

In December 1999, LTFCU became a community credit union expanding its potential for serving not only certain entities but everyone who lived, worshiped, attended school in, or worked in Webb County. This meant that more people could join the credit union and benefit from its services.

In November 2000, LTFCU expanded the McPherson office to become a branch offering all services to the members, including Real Estate Loans.

In August 2002, Laredo Teachers Federal Credit Union changed its name to properly represent its field of membership. The name was changed to Laredo Federal Credit Union.

In September 2006, Laredo Federal Credit Union opened a South Branch on 4420 Zapata Highway Suite 103 offering full service to our members.

In February 2009, LFCU continued its growth by opening a Mines Road Branch on 9505 Mines Road Suite 106 offering full service to our members.

In December 2010, LFCU purchased a property on 2110 Lowry Road and will take possession in November 2011. This branch will be LFCU's third self-sustaining branch.

Laredo Federal Credit Union currently serves more  than 18,600 members and has over $110,000,000 in assets. Services offered include: savings, checking, money market, Share Certificates, IRA, Christmas Club, Kids Safari Account, Instant Issued Debit Card, Business Checking and Saving, Money Orders, Travelers Checks, Safe Deposit Boxes (McPherson Office and Mines Road), Discount Tickets, E-Statements, Online Banking, and Bill Pay, Audio Response, Mobile Banking, Wire Transfers, Night Deposit Box (Main, McPherson, and Mines), 10 ATM locations throughout Laredo (2 at Main, 2 at McPherson, 1 at South, and 1 at Mines,1 at Laredo Medical Center, 3 at the Laredo Energy Arena). We also provide a variety of loan services which include: Business Loans, Mortgage Loans, Home Improvement Loans, Home Equity Loans, Lot Loans, Consumer Loans, Auto Loans, Share Secured Loans, Christmas Loans, Back to School Loans and Vacation Loans.

Home Equity